Thursday 12 January 2017

Korean viewers wonder if the folklore on 'Dokkaebi' is being reinterpreted properly overseas


If Dokkaebi is being exported to other countries...
I hope that they represent the Samshin grandmother well and all the other unique and warm-hearted Gods [in Korean mythology].  The Samshin grandmother is someone who blesses and creates children and protects them until their birth.  When I think about these two lines, "I was very happy when I was blessing you" or "My child, couldn't you have been a better teacher.." I'm wondering if there are also other Gods as warm-hearted and beautiful as her.

(t/n: Samshin is the goddess of birth in Korean folklore.)

P.S. Samshin grandma... please create my soulmate. I'm lonely.

Daum Cafe: I think that if Dokkaebi is being exported to any other country...

- ..... Hello, don't you think you're being too harsh on a kid who hasn't been born yet?

- The Samshin grandma isn't in charge of making soulmates... they create children... babies....

- The one in charge of bringing people together is the Weolhanoin... but I wonder what's up with that guy these days, is he on strike...

> My lord, haven't you been resting too much?
> You're being too much on us, my lord

- I feel like if "aga (아가)" is translated in English, it'll be "sweetie" or "baby", won't it sound cheesy to them? ㅠㅠㅠ
> I don't think so!! They use "sweetie" in the same sense a lot over there too so I think it's fine!!! An Australian grandmother came into one of the stores I was a part-time worker at and she'd attach "-sweetie" to everyone.  It really transfers the same meaning in Korean of a grandmother calling someone "aga (아가)"! ㅎㅎ
> I'm over 40-years old and it's nice when grandmothers call me "sweetie".

- Samshin grandma: You have to find one first for me to make you a match!!
> It's like praying to win the lottery without buying a ticket ㅋㅋ

- The Samshin grandma is warm-hearted, you say?? ㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋ She didn't even let my partner be born thoughㅠㅠ
> It's not that they weren't born, just think that you haven't found them yet. They're somewhere on Earth... or maybe outer space, you can go find them once galactic space travel is available, my friend.

- Samshin to Euntak: "I was so happy when I was blessing you"
Samshin to me: "When I was blessing you..... I am so sorry."

- Not just the Gods in Korean mythology but I also hope they get to know deeper about the story of ghosts and the different types.  In folklore, they say that ghosts have a reason for existing and that deaths don't occur without reason.

- For Goblin's special episode, it'd be nice if they take the time to explain all the Gods and introduce Korean folklore...
> This is such a good idea

- I hope "Dokkaebi" (t/n: Goblin) is interpreted well too. I really don't think "Goblin" is the right word for it (in English) ㅠㅠ.
> I actually wish they'd just romanize it and use "Dokkaebi".  It's being reinterpreted in other countries so it's different for each one, it's either dokkaebi, oni, goblin...
> Guardian

- (t/n: The following comment was originally written in English.) "I was very happy when I pointG you" "Hey my sweetheart, why don't you be better good teacher..."
- PointG ㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋ Took me awhile (t/n: Jeomji is the original word meaning to create/bless, jeom (point), ji (G).)









0 comments:

Post a Comment